There’s no faster way to transform the look of your kitchen than with a cabinet makeover! However, it can be expensive and time-consuming to go through the process of finding a contractor or getting new cabinets installed. If you want something quicker, there’s an easier way: DIY! Here are our tips and tricks for a successful DIY cabinet makeover for your kitchen.
Of course, when people think of a “cabinet makeover,” they’re typically going to assume that that means getting new cabinets. But whether that’s not in the budget, time scale, or scope of the project, we hear you. You can transform your cabinets in a powerful DIY makeover, without having to get anything new (except maybe some paint).
There are plenty of ways to make your cabinets look better without replacing them, including:
- Repainting the outer and/or inner cabinets
- Shining, washing, or deep cleaning or polishing handles and fixtures
- Elevating your doors with molding or other decor
- Replacing cabinet hardware or doors
When you’re doing it yourself, a cabinet makeover needs a clear plan. Are you going to be painting? Where? Do you need any extra hardware? Cleaning supplies? As you’re creating your plan, remember to carefully consider both what you have and what you want in your kitchen cabinets.
There are so many kitchen cabinet styles, and you have to get clear about both the kind of cabinets that you currently have and then the kind that you want yours to emulate. For example, a family with a newer home might crave the look of unique antique cabinets rather than the modern cookie-cutter ones they have, while their neighbors down the road with those antique-style cabinets might yearn for cabinets that look more sleek and sophisticated. In either case, you can revamp your cabinets to the style and look you want.
Once you have a clear plan, you’re ready to put your plan into place! If paint is involved in your project, the next section will help you choose the right paint.
When you’re painting your cabinets, longevity is key! You want this DIY makeover to last. Don’t skimp out on paint quality, and make sure you get a trusted brand that prizes colors that won’t fade or chip easily. We recommend oil-based paint for its thicker consistency, which dries harder, offers stain-blocking properties, and sports a glossier finish compared to latex paint counterparts.
The quality of the paint you choose is important, but what about the shade? A neutral shade can blend well into any design scheme, while a bold hue can be the signature design statement of your kitchen. You might consider a trendy option, keeping in mind the selections of interior design colors of 2023, which include:
- “Serene Seafoam Green,” as a calming accent color
- “Piquant Pink,” as a vivacious centerpiece
- “Blissful Blue” or “Timeless Navy Blue” to create grounding depth
- “Exquisite Terracotta” for some rustically inviting charm
Whether you’re always in the kitchen or you’re avoiding it as much as possible because of how much your cabinets need to be redone, realistically, you’re going to be living in the house while you perform this DIY makeover. That means it’s critical to prepare the space for your kitchen transformation.
We recommend that you protect your cabinets, walls, counters, and more with painter’s tape and drop or tack cloths. Remove any hardware and doors and drawers before you paint an area so you can cover all surfaces evenly. Depending on the type of cabinetry you have, sanding your cabinets can be appropriate before a thorough cleaning. Then, you’ll be ready to paint.
A job well done when it comes to a DIY cabinet makeover can be defined in one word: methodical. DIY doesn’t necessarily mean quick, and it definitely doesn’t need to mean sloppy. Prepare for this to be a fairly lengthy process where you will pay attention to the details.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind to get the job done right when painting:
- Don’t neglect a primer coat, and don’t start the next coat until the previous one has thoroughly dried.
- Start with the interior of the cabinet and work towards the outer frame and sides.
- Make your brush strokes as consistent as possible.
- Clean your cabinets before and after your transformation process.
With effort and attention to detail, you can be proud of your polished product!
If you’re looking to boost your home’s value with a successful remodel, DIY kitchen cabinet makeovers are a great way to transform your space. Hopefully, the above tips to carefully consider your plan, choose the right paint, and get the job done well have given you some strategies and ideas to get your creative juices flowing as you consider what you’ll be able to do in your space.
- Lisa has been blogging since 2013, and loves sharing resources and ideas for living a simple life. To get free printables, bonus words, and more - sign up for the newsletter.
- HomeOctober 3, 2023Beautify Your Front Yard With These 7 Low-Maintenance Ideas
- GiveawaysOctober 2, 2023Cookie Queen: How One Girl Started Tate’s Bake Shop Book & Cookies Giveaway
- GiveawaysOctober 1, 2023$150 PayPal Cash Fabulous Fall Giveaway
- GiveawaysOctober 1, 2023Scaredy Cat Giveaway Hop