How many times have you tried to de-clutter your home? I’ve worked hard to de-clutter and organize my home many times. Unfortunately, I usually have waited until things have gotten out of control before I did anything. Cleaning and organizing is one thing, but keeping it that way is not always easy.
Clutter Is A Problem
Clearing out the clutter and chaos is the first step to a simple home. If you don’t have a plan to keep things organized, the clutter will come back and drive you crazy! Some people are naturally organized and faithfully work to keep their homes neat and tidy. Then, there are the rest of us.
I’ve always admitted to being a messy. While I’m definitely not a hoarder, I let things pile up and procrastinate the duties of organizing. When things get so messy that I can’t stand it, then I’ll actually do something about it. This is a problem. Can you relate?
Obviously, waiting until things are terribly messy to de-clutter is not the best plan. As much as we love the feeling of lightness and freedom that comes after a cleaning spree, it could be felt all the time. The way to have this happen is to have a maintenance plan and follow it.
This is much easier to do if you have a Cleaning Planner. Using my Cleaning Planner has made it possible for me to see the actual plan so that I don’t forget it. And, because it can be changed, I can make tweaks to the cleaning schedule. If something doesn’t work on the plan, it really should be changed. Schedules should work for me, I don’t work for the schedule.
- Have a filing system – File important papers in your selected system: filing boxes, desk drawers, baskets, crates, or anything that works for you.
- Instead of filing some papers – Scan them and save them in a digital folder.
- On a regular basis, you should go through drawers, closets, shelves, and your desk to see if anything needs to be removed.
- Deal with mail and emails immediately.
- Unsubscribe from emails that you don’t need to read anymore.
- Keep closets in order.
- Have containers ready to place donations.
- Keep containers ready for recycling.
These are just a few ways to get and keep your home and life organized. Don’t let your stuff ruin your day. What is your favorite way to keep things tidy? Do you have any super tips to share?
@2020, copyright Lisa Ehrman
- Lisa has been blogging since 2013, and loves sharing resources and ideas for living a simple life. To get free printables, bonus words, and more - sign up for the newsletter.